William Penn School was the 10th school added to the Bakersfield City School District, with its opening September of 1917. 116 students were enrolled, occupying five classrooms Kindergarten thru 4th grade. Eleanor Pavey was the first teaching principal. During this period playgrounds were not equipped. A gas stove heated each classroom. Clara Patterson became principal in 1921. During her tenure she married and became Mrs. McNamara.
Miss Emma Buckmaster became our first grade teacher in 1922. Due to her continued devotion to education these beginning students had a rich academic background for further accomplishments. The Parent-Teacher Association was organized the same year the school opened. In 1927 Lois Hammon organized and lead the famous William Penn harmonica band.
After teaching at the school a number of years Mary Lavers became the 3rd principal in 1938. Mrs. Lavers and her close friend Mille Munsey who was also a well-known pioneer teacher enjoyed horseback riding ñ especially parades. Patriotism was the keynote during this period in our history of William Penn. The United States was engaged in the Second World War. Our children were made aware of our countryís need for loyal support from all the people. We all worked together planting victory gardens, collecting paper for paper drives, buying war stamps and bonds and knitting aphagans for our men in the service.
A complete set of McGuffey Readers and an antique school bell are on display in the hallway were presented to our school in memory of a former student 2nd lieutenant David Gordon Harrington, by his parents.
After a splendid career in education Mrs. Lavers retired. George Hanley assumed the responsibilities of principal and guided us thru the post war years.
In the spring of 1952, the board of Education appointed Mr. Chas Strong as the 5th principal of William Penn. However due to the disastrous earthquake of the summer of 1952, William Penn school was condemned. Our students and those from McKinley, Lowell and Wayside were re-located at Wayside School. Classes were on double session with approximately 1200 students in each session. While at Wayside, William Penn clerk Voa Hubbard coined the name McLopenside a combination of the four schools.
Preceding the boarding of buses for school noon carnivals were held on the playground for the purpose of raising money for the student body.
January of 1955 we find the students moving into their new building. Here you see the results of the undaunted efforts of the parents and friends of William Penn District. These people strove to rebuild our neighborhood school, but were met by many obstacles ñ some being the states objections to a substandard size playground. Our school was rebuilt entirely from district funds. The construction cost was the lowest per square foot of any school building. A former student, architect Whitney Biggar designed the new structure.
At the close of the 1955 school year a retirement party was held for our first grade teacher Emma Buckmaster who had served William Penn for 33 consecutive years.
Mrs. Clementine Newman undertook the duties of principal in 1956 and with her able leadership William Penn continued its educational growth.
Our hopes for the future, for our community and our country begin with these young people who are depicting the March of Time in education.