SSC By-Laws

Walter Stiern Middle School
School Site Council By-Laws

Article 1 – Name of Committee

The name of this committee shall be the Walter Stiern School Site Council (SSC)

Article 2 – Purposes

To provide an avenue for parents, students, and staff members to share in decisions regarding the planning, implementation, on-going monitoring, and annual evaluation of the Specially Funded Project program.

Article 3 – Membership

Section 1: Composition of the Walter Stiern School Site Council
a. 25% of the total membership shall be parents; 25% shall be students; and 50% shall be staff members, the majority of whom shall be classroom teachers.
b. The Council shall consist of at least sixteen (16) members.
– 4 Parent Members
– 4 Student Members – Consisting of Student Body Officers and/or Student Body Room Representatives elected by their peers.
– 8 Staff Members: 1) Principal, 2) Other school Personnel, and, (3 through 8) Classroom Teachers.
c. Council members shall be elected by peer election in each category.

Section 2: Terms of Membership
Each member, except students, shall serve for a two-school-year term. All members are eligible for re-nomination and re-election.

Section 3: Voting Rights
Only elected council members shall have voting privileges

Section 4: Termination of Membership
a. If a council member is absent from 3 consecutive meetings, the member will automatically be dismissed.
b. A council member may be suspended or expelled by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all council members.

Section 5: Transfer of membership
Membership on the council is not transferable or assignable.

Section 6: Resignation
Any member may resign by submitting a written resignation.

Section 7: Vacancy
Any vacancy on the council will be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term by election.

Section 8: Election to Membership
a. Nominations for the ballots shall be open to all parents, students, and staff of Walter Stiern Middle School. Nominations will take place at “Back To School Night”.
b. Election of new parent and staff representatives for the ensuing school year shall be held separately and take place by October. Student representatives for the ensuing school year shall be elected as part of the student body elections.

Article 4 – Officers

Section 1: Officers
The officers of the School Site Council shall be: Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and Secretary.

Section 2: Duties
a. The Chairperson is to preside at all meetings, sign all matters, reports, and other communications.
b. The Vice-Chairperson is to represent the Chairperson in the assigned duties in his/her absence.
c. The Secretary is to keep minutes of meetings and transmit them to members.

Section 3: Election
Officers shall be elected annually and serve for one year and until each successor has been elected and qualified.

Article 5 – Subcommittees

Section 1: Subcommittees will be formed as needed.

Section 2: Subcommittee Eligibility
Subcommittee members are not required to be voting council Members.

Article 6 – Meetings and Amendments

Section 1: Calendar of Meetings
a) The School Site Council shall meet a minimum of eight (8) times during the year on dates determined by the members.
b) No general meeting shall be held without a 72-hour notice by posting of Agenda. Emergency meetings may be held without a 72-hour notice..

Section 2: Open Meetings
All School Site Council Meetings shall be open to the community, but only council members shall have voting privileges.

Section 3: Quorum
All decisions shall be made only after an affirmative vote of a majority of its members in attendance, provided a quorum is in attendance.

Section 4: Amendments

These by-laws shall be amended and/or revised any time by a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote by the council members.



Revised and approved January 14, 2009

Nondiscrimination Policy

Bakersfield City School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived characteristics of race or ethnicity, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, ethnic group identifications, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information or any other characteristic identified in Education Code 200 or 220, Penal code 422.55, or Government Code 11135, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. If you believe you have been subjected to discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying, you should immediately contact the school site principal and/or the District’s Human Resource Administrator, at 661-631-4663, or at 1300 Baker Street, Bakersfield, California 93305. A copy of BCSD’s Uniform Complaint Procedures and Non-Discrimination policies are available by clicking here and/or upon request.