Bessie E. Owens Intermediate is the G.A.T.E. Magnet School for the Bakersfield City School District. Owens Intermediate is a 4th-6th grade campus. The campus serves approximately 570 students who either reside in our neighborhood or use district transportation from other areas to attend the G.A.T.E. program. Our school has a wonderful, dedicated staff. We have a wealth of technology and programs to suit every student’s needs. We are lucky to have an advanced technology lab, science lab, and a full drama and dance program. If you are interested in finding some more in-depth information about our school, you can use the links on the left to explore.
Students in the News
- Former students, De Leah Johnson, Krina Ghadia, Jazleen Salinas, Ashley Lopes, Olivia Serrano, Lucy Sperber, and Julia Cueva all placed at the BCSD Oral Language Festival. Congratulations Bobcats!
- Fifth grade GATE student, Jorel Ma, placed 3rd in the Kern County Bank of America Speech Contest. Way to go!
- Five current and former Bobcats made an impressive showing at this year’s annual Kern County Science Far. Click here to read the story on the BCSD web site.
- Former Owens Bobcat, Krina Ghadia, placed 3rd at the annual Henry Greve Speech Contest. Way to go Krina! Click here to read the story on the BCSD web site.
- Logan Jarrett, a 5th grade student in Mrs. Harper’s class, earned an honorable mention in the 2016 Kern County Water Agency’s poster contest. Way to go Logan. Click here to see the award winning work.
- Nine of Mrs. Harper’s 5th grade GATE students’ haiku poems were selected for publication in the 2016 Young American Poetry Digest. They are Jayla Rogers, Logan Jarrett, Rheagan Casey, Melanie Bueno, Josselyne Cabrera, Beres Bispo, Pujan Ghadia, Olivia Serrano, Kaiyla Daniel, and Allele Gutierrez. What an honor!
- Three Owens Bobcats placed at the 2016 Kern County Science Fair. Congratulations to Cade Nahama, Pujan Ghadia, and Alex Fan. Click here to read the story on the BCSD web site.
- Two former Owens Intermediate Bobcats placed at the 2016 BCSD Henry Greve Speech Contest. Keshav Patel earned a 3rd place trophy and Caitlin Bautista earned a 4th place trophy. They will both go on to represent BCSD at the Kern County Henry Greve Speech Contest on Thursday, March 17th. Way to make use proud Bobcats! Click here to read the story on the BCSD web site.
- Owens Intermediate Super Speller, Aydan Olaez, takes first place at the BCSD Spelling Bee Region I and former Bobcat, Joshua Vibal, takes first place for Region II. Wow, we are so proud of you. BCSD 2016 Spelling Bee
- Our awesome Owens Intermediate Bobcat Performers are featured on the main BCSD site, following their outstanding performance at the 20th Annual BCSD Education Foundation Teddy Bear Picnic
- Read this interesting article about Bessie E. Owens, the amazing teacher who gave us our name. Named After: Bessie E. Owens Schools