As principal at Horace Mann, I am fortunate to work with a wonderful staff, who is dedicated to raising achievement for all students. We have implemented many educational programs designed to meet the needs of all students. We currently have a state-of-the-art computer lab, new student laptops in every classroom as well as a science and engineering program in grades 2-4. We offer many extracurricular activities such as Science Fair, Oral Language Festival, Safety Patrol and Student Council for our student. At Horace Mann we try to encourage all students to take advantage of these opportunities.
As a parent you are your child’s first teacher and most important teacher and together we can make your child’s educational experience a positive one. Here are some ways you can help your child:
Make sure your children get plenty of rest.
- Develop a morning routine so they arrive at school on time and ready to begin the day.
- Set aside a study time and assist with homework.
- Help your child develop a positive attitude about school.
- Help your child develop good study habits.
- Develop your child’s vocabulary by having conversations and asking them questions.
- Read to your child or have them read to you daily. Children need to read a minimum of 15 minutes per day outside of school to stay on grade level.
- Visit your children’s classroom so you can observe what education is taking place.
- Volunteer to help at school.
- Make sure your child goes to school every day. Studies show that if a child misses 18 days of school during any school year they won’t graduate from high school.
Thank you for sharing your children with us.
Dayna Martin Gardner
Horace Mann School
“Making an IMPACT”
2710 Niles Street
Bakersfield, Ca. 93306