Downtown School, located in the heart of Bakersfield’s downtown business corridor, is the newest of the Bakersfield City School District campuses. This innovative school was designed to support families of the employees working in the downtown area. Serving K-8 grade students, the school’s enrollment is 300 students.
The school provides a full before and after school child care program from 6:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. each day for all enrolled students wishing to participate. Funded exclusively through parent-paid fees, the after-school program provides homework assistance, enrichment in the arts, and physical education. As this is an open enrollment school with no neighborhood boundaries, all students are transported to and from school under the care and direction of their families.
What’s Happening at Downtown School!
- School Resumes August 17th **Remember it is a Bank Day on the First day of School**
- Late Start for the 2016-2017 school year are August 25th, September 15th, October 20th, December 1st, January 12th, February 9th, March 16th, and May 11th. Campus opens at 9:50 a.m. and school starts at 10:22 a.m.
- Mrs. Barthelmes will be hosting at Principal’s Coffee on the first day of school in the cafeteria @ 8:22 please join her
- School Site Council Nomination go home on the August 17th and are due back to school on August 19th.
- SSC Voting begins on August 22nd and final day for ballots is on the 25th of August
- School pictures is on August 26th
- Student Council information goes home on the 18th of August if you have question please email Mrs. Rand email@example.com or Mrs. Chavez firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Council Campaigning begins September 6th
- Student Council Speeches September 8th at 2:00pm
- Flag Raising Ceremony on September 9th, 2016; 8:30 a.m. Kindergarten Grade Preforms
- Student Council Voting September 9th
- Back to School Night is on September 13th
- Downtown’s Leadership Academy first meeting is on August 19th in the Library during the 6th-8th grade lunch
- Leadership Academy September 16th in the library during 6th-8th grade lunch
- PENNY WARS!!! September 19th through 23rd **All money raised will go toward the N8 Foundation**
- School picture make-up day is September 30th
- SSC September 9th & 23rd 7:30
- Every Wednesday is a bank day. School will start at 9:02 a.m. Every other day school begins at 8:22 a.m.
Our Mission Statement
Downtown School is COMMITTED to promoting ACCOUNTABLE and RESPONSIBLE learners who are EMPOWERED in a safe and supportive learning environment.
At Downtown School…
We are COMMITTED
We are ACCOUNTABLE
We are RESPONSIBLE
We are EMPOWERED
We, the faculty and staff at Downtown School, are dedicated to raising the whole child in partnership with the family and the community. We envision a school where all students know they are valued for their individuality and are supported to grow in a manner that best reflects their individual strengths and talents. It is our mission to assist each child in becoming a contributing member of a multicultural society by creating an environment that nurtures each child’s love of learning, promotes academic excellence, cultivates social consciousness, develops physical prowess and ensures emotional well-being.