Downtown School, located in the heart of Bakersfield’s downtown business corridor, is the newest of the Bakersfield City School District campuses. This innovative school was designed to support families of the employees working in the downtown area. Serving K-8 grade students, the school’s enrollment is 300 students.
The school provides a full before and after school child care program from 6:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. each day for all enrolled students wishing to participate. Funded exclusively through parent-paid fees, the after-school program provides homework assistance, enrichment in the arts, and physical education. As this is an open enrollment school with no neighborhood boundaries, all students are transported to and from school under the care and direction of their families.
What’s Happening at Downtown School!
- Late Start dates for the 2016-2017 school year are as follows December 1st, January 12th, February 9th, March 16th, and May 11th. Campus opens at 9:50 a.m. and school starts at 10:22 a.m.
- Mrs. Barthelmes, our school principal, and Mrs. Klassen, our school FACE liaison, will be hosting at FACE Time once a month. They want to hear your ideas, comments, and suggestion. Please join them in the Cafeteria @ 8:00 on December 8th, January 26th, February 16th, March 30th, and April 20th. Refreshments will be served.
- Oral Language Festival 4th-6th December 3rd
- Flag Raising Ceremony on December 9th, 2016; 8:30 a.m. Third Grade Performs
- December 8th, 5th Grade to the Nutcracker Ballet
- Downtown’s Leadership Academy is on December 12th in the Computer Lab during the 6th thru 8th-grade lunch
- December 23rd Minimum Day Schedule
- December 26th -January 6th Winter Break
- Report cards sent home January 13th
- January 16th Holiday Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 17th BCSD Spelling Bee Good Luck Samuel Landa!
- SSC Meeting January 27th @ 7:30 AM in room 14
- End of the Second Grading Period, December 16th
- Quarterly Awards Assemblies January 27th @ 8:30 Grades 5-6; 9:10 Grades 3-4; 10:15 Grades K-2
- Every Wednesday is a bank day school will start at 9:02 a.m. Every other day school begins at 8:22 a.m.
Our Mission Statement
Downtown School is COMMITTED to promoting ACCOUNTABLE and RESPONSIBLE learners who are EMPOWERED in a safe and supportive learning environment.
At Downtown School…
We are COMMITTED
We are ACCOUNTABLE
We are RESPONSIBLE
We are EMPOWERED
We, the faculty and staff at Downtown School, are dedicated to raising the whole child in partnership with the family and the community. We envision a school where all students know they are valued for their individuality and are supported to grow in a manner that best reflects their individual strengths and talents. It is our mission to assist each child in becoming a contributing member of a multicultural society by creating an environment that nurtures each child’s love of learning, promotes academic excellence, cultivates social consciousness, develops physical prowess and ensures emotional well-being.