Downtown School, located in the heart of Bakersfield’s downtown business corridor, is the newest of the Bakersfield City School District campuses. This innovative school was designed to support families of the employees working in the downtown area. Serving K-8 grade students, the school’s enrollment is 300 students.
The school provides a full before and after school child care program from 6:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. each day for all enrolled students wishing to participate. Funded exclusively through parent-paid fees, the after-school program provides homework assistance, enrichment in the arts, and physical education. As this is an open enrollment school with no neighborhood boundaries, all students are transported to and from school under the care and direction of their families.
What’s Happening at Downtown School!
- January 4th School Resumes
- January 5th Water Wise Assembly Kindergarten 1:00; 3rd grade 1:30
- Late Start on Thursday, January 7th. Campus opens at 9:50 a.m. and school starts at 10:22 a.m.
- Flag Raising Ceremony on January 15th, 2016; 8:30 a.m. 4th Grade Preforms
- Intermediate Science Fair Grades 4th – 8th 8:30 a.m.
- BCSD Spelling Bee (Ed. Center) Go Dragons!
- Report Cards Sent Home on January 15th
- No School on January 18th D. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- 2nd Quarter Awards January 21st (K-2nd at 10:15; 3-4th at 9:10; 5-6 at 8:30)
- 1st Semester Awards for 7th and 8th January 22nd at 8:30
- January 25th through 29th Great Kindness Challenge Week
- SSC January 29th 7:30
- January 29th Yearbook Orders Due along with love lines and 8th grade dedication page
- Kern County Oral Language January 30th at Stonecreek Middle School
- Every Wednesday is a bank day. School will start at 9:02 a.m. Every other day school begins at 8:22 a.m.
Our Mission Statement
Downtown School is COMMITTED to promoting ACCOUNTABLE and RESPONSIBLE learners who are EMPOWERED in a safe and supportive learning environment.
At Downtown School…
We are COMMITTED
We are ACCOUNTABLE
We are RESPONSIBLE
We are EMPOWERED
We, the faculty and staff at Downtown School, are dedicated to raising the whole child in partnership with the family and the community. We envision a school where all students know they are valued for their individuality and are supported to grow in a manner that best reflects their individual strengths and talents. It is our mission to assist each child in becoming a contributing member of a multicultural society by creating an environment that nurtures each child’s love of learning, promotes academic excellence, cultivates social consciousness, develops physical prowess and ensures emotional well-being.