Healthy Start: The family advocates provide support to families to assist them in overcoming barriers to learning and to school attendance. Training for school site personnel is also offered through in services and program components to improve outcomes for children. The following programs are coordinated by our office:
- Operation School Bell: Provides clothing including uniforms and street clothes for students. Priority is given to those schools that provide a bus and chaperons for the event.
- Gleaners, Food Bank: Food assistance. This service provides in need with temporary food assistance. There is a charge to the district for each family referred.
- Community Christmas (formerly Toys for Tots and Christmas Food Baskets): Insures that as many families as possible receive gifts and a special holiday meal.
- Elks Christmas Luncheon: Provides a special holiday time for those children in most need.
- Eye glasses for children in need – Lion’s Club Eye Glass referral, VSP Vision referrals, Lens Crafter Vision Day, etc.: Assists families in providing eye glasses for children. Families can not be eligible for public assistance or have vision insurance.
Vicki Trevino, Family Advocate