BCSD’s School Readiness Initiative (SRI), funded by First 5 Kern: and First 5 California, is designed to implement programs that improve the transition from early care settings to elementary school and increase the schools’ and communities’ capacity to promote the success of young children.
The School Readiness Initiative engages:
- community members
The School Readiness Initiative focuses on:
- children ages birth to age five
- low-performing schools as measured by Academic Performance Index (API)
- preparing these children for elementary school in four aspects:
- children’s readiness for school
- schools’ readiness for children
- family and community supports
- services that contribute to childrenís readiness for school success
The School Readiness Initiative Provides:
- Center-based School Readiness activities
- Case management to support families
- In home parent child School Readiness activities
- Kindergarten Round Up in the spring
- Kindergarten Summer Bridging Program
- Kindergarten Orientation for parents and students
- Parent Education on a variety of topics that impact school readiness and performance
- Family and Community Resource Centers: East Bakersfield Community Resource Center, South Chester Partnership Resource Center, and the 34th Street Neighborhood Partnership Resource Center
For information please contact the School Readiness office at 631-5895.
Return to the Family, School and Community Partnerships page.