The Bakersfield City School District (BCSD) is now accepting suggestions to name its new school site.
BCSD recently completed the purchase of land near the southwest corner of Belle Terrace and Cottonwood Road in the South East area of the District for the purpose of constructing a new elementary school. The school site design process is underway, and it is now time to begin the process of naming the new school.
The BCSD Board of Education reserves the right to name District schools, buildings, and facilities. The Board uses one or more of the following criteria:
- Individuals, living or deceased, who have made outstanding contributions to BCSD and/or the Bakersfield Community.
- Individuals, living or deceased, who are/were local, state, or national figures who have made truly significant contributions to the community, Kern County, California, or the United States.
- In recognition of the specific geographic area or locales in which the school or building is located.
- Authors, poets, historical figures who have attained national prominence in the fields of education, science, the arts, statesmanship, civic leadership, or an early pioneer of Bakersfield, Kern County, of the State of California.
- Former United States Presidents, living or deceased.
Persons wishing to submit a name should submit (in writing) the name(s) with supporting rationale by Friday, March 29, 2018 to:
The Office of the Assistant Superintendent, Business Services
1300 Baker Street
Bakersfield, CA 93305