2017 Lights On Event
Light Up Literacy
Print out an Invitation below
August 10, 2017 Fall Training at Sierra
Welcome Back…….After School Staff consisting of at present-5 ASES Staff, 3 Area Directors, 39 Site Coordinators, 290 Activity Leaders, 11 Campus Supervisors, 60-70 Academic Liaisons.
After School Program Video
After School Program PowerPoint
The Bakersfield City School District After School Education and Safety Program is dedicated to providing a safe after school education, enrichment, and youth development program for first through eighth-grade students.
Making A Difference One Afternoon At A Time
The After School Education and Safety Program seeks to provide a safe and nurturing environment for our most important resource, our students. We strive to enhance the learning experience of children and provide them with numerous enrichment opportunities.
Our three main goals include the following:
- To improve students academic achievement
- To increase positive behavior
- To enhance students attendance
- An educational and literacy component where tutoring or homework assistance is provided in one or more of the following area: language arts, mathematics, history and social science, or science. This component should support the school’s core curriculum and the district/state standards. However, reading and math skill development will be the primary focus of the academic component since district-wide scores are lowest in these areas.
- An educational enrichment component that may include recreation, prevention, and youth development. Such activities might involve the arts, music, sports, recreation, career preparation activities, teen pregnancy and substance abuse prevention services, gang awareness activities, conflict resolution training, community service-learning, and other youth development activities based on student needs and interests.
- All students should attend the ASESP five days a week (every school day) for the full length of the program.
- The program must operate for a minimum of three hours a day and at least until 6:00 p.m. on every regular school day (See exceptions in accordance with the district early release policy.)
- The program must maintain a pupil-to-staff ratio of no more than 20 to 1.